The prominent tower that stands on the summit of Knockaloe Hill, Peel was built by the wealthy, but apparently eccentric, landowner Thomas Corrin. It was initially built as a memorial to his wife, Alice, who died in childbirth on January 31st 1806. Subsequently however, the tower became one of his favourite places and he spent many hours sitting reading on the third floor. To further enhance his comfort he had a fireplace constructed within the northeast corner.
Alice and their two sons were interred within a small enclosure some 30 metres east of the tower itself. Initially a sod wall bounded the site but, as visitors continually destroyed it, the current stone one was built.
A stone pillar stands a short distance from each corner of the enclosure. One still bears the inscription, which reads (as you walk round it in an anticlockwise direction)
CORRIN'S PILLAR 1839
This pillar is erected sixty
feet distance from the base of
this mount and within
the enclosure upon its top
rests the mortal remains of
ALICE CORRIN and her
two beloved children. This
Pillar, Tower and Monument was erected
by Thomas Corrin to
perpetuate her memory until
reanimated by the grace of God
Legend tells us that Thomas was an active member of Athol Street Congregational Church in Douglas, and, as such, he had no communion with the established church. After burying his wife and two children on the hill, his own expressed wish was to join them there after his demise. However, his surviving son had 'taken religion' and refused to have his father buried in unconsecrated ground, instead burying him in the churchyard at Kirk Patrick. That night, fellow dissenters removed his remains and reburied them according to his wishes alongside his wife on the hillside.
The graves lie inside a small enclosure some thirty metres east of the tower on top of Knockaloe Hill, 1km from Peel. Modern maps show the tower as 'Corrin's Tower' and the hill as 'Corrin's Hill'.